Submission Information and Guidelines 2024
*Visit Balinale Filmfreeway for more Information
Film submission open on Balinale filmfreeway : Thursday, 30 November 2023.
- Early Bird Deadline : 11 January 2024
- Regular Deadline : 15 March 2024
- WNI Deadline : 15 March 2024
- Late Deadline : 4 April 2024
In order to confirm your understanding of and acceptance of the terms and conditions, PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING REGULATIONS CAREFULLY.
Entry forms must be completed with a secure screener, all other necessary documentation, and signatures before the deadline.
Bali International Film Festival is granted permission to exhibit the film at its associated events during the current festival year and up to its next edition, where the film will receive proper credit and promotion.
If a submission does not satisfy all these standards, Balinale reserves the right to disqualify the film and all money paid will be forfeited.
For each submissions that is submitted, only one category may be chosen.
Please be aware of the following terms:
- Submissions that do not meet the eligibility criteria or are otherwise disqualified under these regulations are not eligible for refunds.
- Incomplete payment will result in disqualification of the film submission.
- Bali International Film Festival is NOT responsible for covering any screening or shipping fees associated with the submissions.
- Please note that there will be NO screening or loaner fees charged for films screened at the festival.
2. Entry Liability
The filmmaker holds the Bali International Film Festival, its foundation, management, juries, subsidiaries, agents, sponsors, affiliates, etc. harmless from any and all claims of liability resulting from entry.
By submitting your film(s), you acknowledge that you have all necessary rights and permissions for the film(s) and agree to grant permission for the Bali International Film Festival to exhibit.
The filmmaker indemnifies the organizers of the festival against all claims, demands, costs, damages, expenses (including legal fees), proceedings, and losses resulting from the screening of the film at the festival or from claims by any third parties.
Balinale is guided in all its work by the core values of excellence; creativity; and equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging (EDIB).
Prior to shipping, any physical materials must be approved by the festival.
In order to avoid customs fees, delays, or possible confiscation, shipping forms must state : NO COMMERCIAL VALUE and FOR CULTURAL PURPOSES ONLY
It is preferable to have a downloadable version, but physical copies can be arranged on a case-by-case basis.
Balinale WILL NOT cover any shipping costs.
4. Film Categories
Independent works that are creative, challenging, and unique. Genres of independent thought-provoking, unique, and entertaining films will be considered.
Film selected for the festival program, and eligibility for jury and/or audience awards, will be decided by the programming committee.
Feature: This category is reserved for any film whose runtime is minimum 40 minutes or more.
Short: This category is reserved for any film whose runtime is under 40 minutes.
Feature: This category is reserved for any film whose runtime is between 90-150 minutes.
Short: This category is reserved for any film whose runtime is 20 minutes or less (including credits).
5. Submission Payment
- Payable via FilmFreeway only
- A limited number of free submissions will be provided for Indonesian Nationals (WNI). Please refer to the WNI CATEGORY for details.
- Submission Fee Waivers for NON-INDONESIAN productions will only be considered when a request is received between 25 February – 29 February 2024. Note: Premieres and Award Winners are given priority.
- Only those submission awarded waivers will be notified.
- Submission fees cannot be discounted, including for the submission of multiple films
6. Screener Formats
Balinale accepts online screeners submitted through FilmFreeway. Receipt of any other physical format must be approved by the festival.
Submitted films must be uploaded directly to FilmFreeway via their Secure Online Screener system, or supplied as a password-protected Vimeo link or private YouTube link provided via the FilmFreeway online application form.
Encrypted films will not be accepted.
- The submitter must inform Balinale right away if the password changes at any stage between the submission and the Festival.
- If the screener is provided with a Vimeo link, please make sure the privacy settings have been modified to allow embedding so Balinale can see the movie through FilmFreeway.
7. Eligibility requirements
All submissions must adhere to the following criteria in order to be considered:
- Films must have been completed within one year of the final submission date.
Eligible films include those that have had international exposure or have been screened at other festivals, but not have had significant commercial or broadcast exposure.
- Non-English language films must be either subtitled or dubbed in English.
- Submission forms must be complete to include all press kit specifications (i.e. Production stills, trailer, production credits, and contact information, Secure online screener). Each submission will have a seperate submission forms. Works-in-progress, commercials, and advertisements are not accepted.
- All submission fees paid in full.
- Note that all films exhibited in Indonesia must be sent to the Indonesian Censorship Board (LSF) for certification and final screening clearance.
Please be aware that by submitting your movie to the festival, you consent to the festival committee’s final judgment.
Notification date : Wednesday, 1 May 2024.
All exhibition materials of SELECTED FILMS must be received by Wednesday, 15 May 2024.
Films must be provided in MP4, or Mov. format. Downloadable is preferable. Physical can be arranged on a case-by-case basis. If your screening, takes place in cinema a DCP can also be arranged.
- Balinale decisions are final
- Screenings are scheduled at the discretion of the Festival. Whilst every effort will be made to adhere to the published schedule, We reserve the right to make changes at any time for any reason. Bali International Film Festival will not be liable for any costs claimed as a result of a schedule change.
- A limited number of tickets are reserved by the Festival for each filmmaker’s screening (s). It should not be assumed that inclusion of your film in the Festival program also covers travel costs and related expenditures.
- The person listed as responsible for the movie will receive the award. A second statuette may be given out at the discretion of the festival.
- Every effort will be made to prevent material loss or damage. The Bali International Film Festival disclaims any liability for any materials lost or damaged in transit to or from the Festival.
- A movie cannot be withdrawn after it has been accepted without the festival committee’s express consent.
All correspondence from Balinale regarding FilmFreeway submissions will be sent via email@example.com and via FilmFreeway.
Although Balinale takes every precaution to ensure that messages are sent to the Submitter via email, Balinale disavows any responsibility for messages not delivered to the email address supplied.
10. Force Majeure
Bali International Film Festival, its authorized representatives or agents shall not be liable for any delays or cancellations occurring because of circumstances beyond its control, including but not limited to acts of civil or military authority, national emergencies, work stoppages, travel restrictions, acts of God, or failure of communication or power supply. In the event of venue cancellation, the festival shall take reasonable steps to minimize losses but shall have no liability with respect there to.